Saturday, February 13, 2010

Inspiration (Written 12.03.09)

Nooo, I haven’t forgotten about my blog…yet. I have a short term memory problem so if I don’t write down “update blog”…it probably won’t happen. I had it written down twice and I’m just now remembering to do it.

ANYWAY, moving on…Every time someone hears the name “Purple Monkey Designs”, I get that funny look like people don’t have a clue how I came up with a name like that. So I’m going to take the time to explain how it all went down.

It all started about a year ago, when I decided to start my own design business. I’m good with images, photos, anything visual….TERRIBLE with words. So, of course, I turn to my friends to help brainstorming ideas for business names. For anyone that knows me well, I’m very difficult, very indecisive, and very picky. Pretty much all my friends told me they wouldn’t help me because I would shoot down every idea they came up with…I’m sooo sorry that I had a list of criteria that the business name needed to meet. Here’s an idea of what I put them through:

  • Nothing with my name or initials in it
  • Nothing too silly, somewhat professional…..but NOT boring and bland
  • Easy to spell
  • Easy to remember
  • Unique and hip without using any whacky letters like “Dezignz” (refer back to easy to spell)
  • Something that represents me, as a person, but no inside jokes

I know there were more rules….but that’s all I can come up with right now. So a year goes by and only ONE friend stuck by me and continued to try to come up with new ideas…huge, crazy, mack daddy props go to Bussells for putting up with all my crap.

We figured that purple needed to be involved, because anyone who knows me, knows that I live and breathe purple. If it’s purple, I’ll buy it. If it’s purple…I have to have it. If everything in life was purple, I’d be a happy girl. So “Purple” had to be part of it, but PurpleDesigns….bleh. So we needed another word to go along with it. We originally went with “DeepPurple”….me being a youngin’ didn’t think about the band…nor did I know the band existed. So every time I tell someone older than myself about DeepPurpleDesigns, they’re immediate reaction was “…like the band?”. So that idea got scratched. Back to just Purple….

Now, ever since I was about 15, my nickname was Monkey. My son, ever since he was about 3, has been known as MonkeyBoy (Monkey B, for short). So needless to say, we love monkeys. Any time there’s a monkey on TV, my son goes “THERE’S ME!!!!” Yea…we’re not normal. Anyway….COMBINING two of my favorite things in life…Bussells suggests, “How about PurpleMonkeyDesigns?” Genious on so many levels, I loved it. It still confuses people, but I don’t care. That name is totally ME!

But the story doesn’t end here. My son, Chance/Boogie/MonkeyB didn’t know about all this business stuff going on because he would have zero interest in it. He had no idea about the whole Purple Monkey debacle, so I was ESPECIALLY amused when he came home from school one day, all excited, saying he got to pick out of the prize box that day and that he picked something for me…




My mind was blown….It was a sign! So it was decided and I got to work designing my site. So I hope that clears up all the questions people have about “PurpleMonkeyDesigns”!

So ever since the little purple monkey came in to my life, this is where he lives…


And I’m sure he’ll turn up in some of my future photographic adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment